Friday, October 22, 2010

Steel mill demolition

An old steel mill along the Ohio River in Daviess County, Ky., is coming down .

I don't know much about that particular site, but I am familiar with the large numbers of smokestack factories here in the Huntington-Ashland-Ironton area that have come down. Some being redeveloped. Some sit idle. Meanwhile, I sometimes drive through neighborhoods built to house people who worked at those factories. A while back, I saw a photo of a neighborhood in northeast Ohio -- I think it was Youngstown -- that was home to steelworkers. The houses there looked just like those in Portsmouth and Ironton, Ohio.

1 comment:

wvgirl826 said...

Just wanted to say I enjoy reading your blog and looking at the pictures. I was born and raised in Mason Co., WV but am now living in Daviess Co., KY. The old Green River steel mill is located on the east side of Owensboro.