Friday, May 27, 2011

Capt. Jack Loomis

In an earlier post, I suggested some boats that would be part of a tournament-style contest over which is the most attractive on the Ohio River. I got several comments, and it's apparent such a tournament would need two divisions: contemporary and classic.

For the classic, I would nominate this boat. A couple of weeks ago, I was scanning some old prints at low resolution to see how they would turn out and how I could make them look. As it turns out, several envelopes had photos of the old Capt. Jack Loomis of the now-gone G&C Towing, which was based near Point Pleasant, W.Va.

I don't what happened to the Loomis, and I'm sure someone will clue me in. I remember the Loomis from the 80s as a relatively quiet boat that made its runs up and down the part of the Ohio with which I was most familiar at the time, those being the Greenup, Gallipolis and Racine pools.

So here are a few photos of the Capt. Jack Loomis in hopes it brings back a few memories.

The first three are as it approached the Gallipolis Locks and Dam.






These two were taken a short distance above the Racine locks, I think. It was in the mid- to late 1980s. I'm pretty sure that's the Kay H beside it.


2 comments:

Bill Alden said...

There are quite a few photos of the Peace in the 1948 book "Towboat River" by Edwin and Louise Rosskam. Anyone interested in river history would enjoy this book. It looks like Amazon.com has some used copies for sale at
http://www.amazon.com/Towboat-river-Edwin-Rosskam/dp/B0006ARJXK

Dennis Lee said...

Hey , I rode this ole gem in 1982, I run chief engineer on her . Gene Duke was chief on her too my best friend. He got killed on a john deere tractor rollover in 1990 . sad, good man.
This was a huge boat inside . rooms all over it. galley on second deck brass hand rails inside ,beautiful .Brass everywhere.
Had two 12 cylinder 567 A blocks on her . 1800 horsepower with a good tail wind . they turned 744 rpm full ahead .two 1200 RPM 6-71 DC generators and a 3-71 A/C generator. raw water cooling constantly stopping up , but have a lot of good memories on her.
I worked for G & C towing at the time as a dock mechanic and chief engineer. Worked for ole Bob Bosworth(deceased) fine man, at the time and later on for Little Bobby and Eddie his sons. Little Bobby sadly passed away last year I think. good friend . Aint seen Eddie since. good guy. Ole chet Crews(deceased) was the electrician and Pete Roush(still kickin) was the welder along with Joey loomis(still kickin). Clyde Dunlap(deceased) was Port Engineer one of the best mechanics ever ! his son Buck was a mechanic too also good . later Buck Fletcher joined our mechanics crew and later run chief engineer on the M/V oliver sheerer for years . Ole Jim Harmon joined the crew as welder ad mechanic later on and last I heard he runs a tug at the old M/g transport dry dock. amherst owns it now I think. Bygone era . good men and great ole boats .
I worked the dock with Captain Jack Loomis and his boys Joey and Peewee Loomis at G & C towing dock. good people . Ole Jack was tough as nails and out work anybody . Im gettin windy . Got brown water in my veins . !!