Thursday, June 11, 2009

Turkey vultures

This photo was not taken along the Ohio River. It was taken on a hillside, a few ridges  back from the river.


However, this photo was taken along the river. At Fortification Hill overlooking Gallipolis OH, in fact.



Turkey vultures are a common sight along the Ohio, so I'll say a few words about them. Most people think they are disgusting creatures, but they merely do what God or nature (depending on your belief system) needs them to do. They're shy around humans, although where I live they're losing some of that shyness.

That could be because black vultures are said to be moving into our part of the Ohio Valley. Black vultures are more aggressive, and I fear they may be pushing turkey vultures out of their natural habitat. If that is the case, it would be a shame. Some people don't understand my fascination with seeing turkey vultures soar overhead, and I don't want to lose that sight.

No comments: