Monday, August 23, 2010

LST-325, photographed


I got back a little while ago from chasing the LST-325 from the Greenup Locks and Dam to the West End of Huntington, WV. We got to the dam as the ship was leaving the locks. Adam and I saw it and got photos at Greenup KY and Ironton and South Point OH. The ship passed South Point as the sun was setting, and there I talked with an old veteran who said he was on the ship from England to Utah Beach on D-Day.

I'll try to have more details tomorrow, as it's getting late and I have a lot of photos to work on.

Meanwhile, here's a photo of the LST-325 taken at Ironton. It's backlit, as the Ironton riverfront faces the west.


Before I retire for the night, I put another photo on my Flickr photostream for my audience there, and I'll link to it on Facebook. More tomorrow.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice picture!
So nice to see your interest in the ship & thank you for posting.
We love the ship & love for others to see & talk about her too!
A crew member

Anonymous said...

By the way, here is her schedule of days open for tours in the 3 ports she's visiting this tour.
Wheeling, W. Va (Aug 27-30), Pittsburgh, Pa (Sep 2-6), Marietta, Oh (Sep 10-14)
She'll also be coming back downriver after she leaves Marietta on 9/15 so maybe you can chase her again. Hope to see you in a port sometime so you can take a tour.

pebbles45771 said...

we are also chasing it.we missed it at Racine lock but saw it at Ravenswood Wv we will be at Marietta Oh to take a tour...this is a great part of history