Thursday, February 3, 2011

"That was a big tow"

Thus spoke Adam after we had spent some time chasing and photographing the Ingram towboat Lee Synnott as it pushed 29 barges up the Ohio River through our area. We spent part of the time with someone else who wanted to see it. She said her husband is a leadman on the William E. Porter, and he had called to tell her about this big tow coming up the river.

We got some photos, but they will take a while to go through. I should post them late tonight or sometime tomorrow.

And thanks to C.R. Neale for tipping Adam off to it.

For what it's worth, the biggest tow I ever saw on the Ohio was 30 barges back in May 1988. An AEP boat was turning from the Ohio up into the Kanawha River pushing that many. I got up on the old Shadle Bridge and snapped a few pics, naturally.

But this 29-barge tow was pretty big, too.

2 comments:

Faith Britton said...

Thank you for letting me tag along today. Had a great time. I can't wait to see your pics of the Synnott & Beymer with that 29 barge tow!

Anonymous said...

And thanks CR Neale for tipping Brian off who in turn tipped me off. :)