Sunday, September 4, 2011

A couple of opinion pieces on a Sunday

Just because two cities lie near each other on opposite sides of the Ohio River doesn't mean they always get along, of course. Here's an old story about Evansville, Ind., and Henderson, Ky. It makes  me want to do down there again. And it reminds me of how in my part of the river, common folk don't care as much about the border as the politicians, the "business leaders" and other members of the movers-and-shakers class do.

Although I will say that some people in Huntington seem to think you need a passport to cross over into Ohio. After heavy downpours, Huntington's storm sewers are overwhelmed and the main streets and underpasses flood. Many people fret that they can't get from one part of town to another. It never occurs to them to cross the Ohio River on one bridge and back on another.

###

Here's how one writer at the Wheeling newspapers views the Ohio River.



3 comments:

riverrat said...

I have a pictuure of you and Adam on the Port Explorer but can not post it.

ohio981 said...

I'm reluctant to post my e-mail address on here because I get enough spam as it is. Do you have a Flickr account?

ohio981 said...

Or are you on Facebook?