Saturday, November 26, 2011

Ups and downs of a sometimes dreary week

One of the nice things about the Internet is that you get to meet people you otherwise would not come in contact with. That happened again these past two weeks when a towboat captain contacted me to ask about something. We have a mutual acquaintance, and we were able to chat about some things.

This has not been a good week for me to get on the river and get photos. Because of downpours earlier in the week, the river has been running high. The water is muddy, and it's over some of my best shooting spots. On top of that, the sky has been milky, the trees are bare and the water is muddy. I tried getting a photo of the O. Nelson Jones as it passed the Miller, Ohio, area on Thanksgiving day, but it just didn't work out.

On top of that, there's not been a lot of traffic around here. I checked the vessel locations site yesterday afternoon, and there was not one boat reported downbound in the Greenup pool. That's not right, but if it has to happen, it might as well be when I can't get to the river bank in daylight and with decent backgrounds to shoot against.

I have to go back up the river later today. Maybe we'll see something then. If things work out, I might even see the boat of the captain of my new acquaintance. You never know.

No comments: