Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Nightime on the Kanawha

I was on the bank of the Kanawha River tonight, trying to get a picture of something reflected in the smooth surface of the water, when the M/V Charleston came by and messed up the reflection. There's always a boat around when you don't need one. But it was interesting to have one pass so close by me in the dark. On the Ohio, boats pass by pretty far out from shore normally. They may come in close in some places, like the downbound channel at Manchester Island, but usually they're pretty far out. On the tributaries, you can get a little closer, I guess.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thats a tight place down-bound with 16 jumbo's and a 25 mph wind blowing on shore with a jumbo on your starboard hip.When you come out of there you better be "full ahead".I remember in my eariler days looking at that little hole to go through at night and thinking, can I really do this.