Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Slow boat to wherever

This evening I almost got a photo of the M/V Hoosier State. I noticed that it was in my area, so I went to downtown Huntington to get an idea where it was so I could grab a photo for Adam. I was surprised at first to see how slow it was going -- maybe 1.5 to 2.5 mph upstream. But I remembered that last Friday I saw the AEP Legacy easing downriver. Sunday, same thing with the AEP Leader. The Leader had just come out of the R.C. Byrd locks, but even after it had cleared the lock, it was going so slow that its wheel wash was pretty weak compared with what I'm used to seeing from those boats.

Why so slow companywide? Don't know. I know some Crounse boats have moved slowly in the past, but I'm not used to seeing these new AEP boats do that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are in fuel conservation. The plants are not burning much coal right now so no need to be in hurry. But with 52 going up yesterday all the 6000 should be steaming back toward rockport and cook coal. M/V AEP Future

Anonymous said...

P.s. Hoosier state is headed to Gavin and the legacy left rockport for cook coal terminal last night

ohio981 said...

That was what I had assumed, but you know what they say happens when you assume. Thanks. I guess this weekend I'll out looking for the older boats. There are a couple of shots I would like to get of the boats like the Norman L. Snodgrass and the Jeffrey A. Raike. Maybe I can see one and get a good photo. If not, there are plenty more weekends left in the summer.

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to seeing more of your pics . It's nice to see some of my old homes. Don't think I'll be giving up my spot on the future for one of the tho. At least not any time soon. Was wondering if you have any pics of some of the old Ohio river company boats from before there buy out to Ingram?

ohio981 said...

You mean the L. Fiore, John Ladd Dean, Robert P. Tibolt, Omar, Omega, Elaine G, Helen S (I hope I got those last two right)? Yep. Color, black and white, print, slides ... I haven't scanned mosta of them, though.