Sunday, December 9, 2012

Gate lift at RCByrd, Part 2

It's not unusual for the Army Corps of Engineers repair fleet to lift lock gates out of the river for repair work. It is unusual for me to be invited to come along and watch. Which is what I did last week.

I've already posted some. Here are a few more, with more to come in the next few days. Posting may be sporadic, as I have a full plate between now and Saturday night, but I'll get to them as I can.

Here, the spreader bar is lying in a parking lot and about to be lifted by the big huge crane that will in about an hour or so lift one of the lock gates.


Here's the spreader bar about to do its work.


The crane, known as the Henry J. Shreve, was so big that I couldn't get it in one photo unless I stood way back,.

Eye thingies have been welded to the gate leaf so the crane can lift it. Sorry, but "thingy" is the best I can do right now.



Watching and waiting to do their parts.


Cutting off the arm that swings the gate open and closed.



Next: the actual lifting of the gate.

No comments: