Thursday, March 7, 2013

Totally off topic

One of my sisters passed away this week, so today I went to her house where family was gathering. On the way home I noticed these sheep at the farm of her oldest son -- one of my nephews.



It reminded me of a beautiful piece of music by J.S. Bach, one that I hadn't listened to in a while: "Sheep May Safety Graze." I've heard it by orchestra, string quartet and as a classical guitar solo. I like the first way best. While John Hartford may have been my favorite performer of the 20th Century, all-time my favorite musician has to be Bach. The first movement of Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 is my favorite piece of music ever, and I remember a long time ago cleaning house to his Goldberg Variations  as performed by the Canadian Brass. That wasn't something I could listen to driving down Route 7, but it was okay for background music while doing chores.

Back to the photo. I don't know if you can make it out, but there is a strand of electric fence wire barely visible here. I suppose the fence keeps out the coyotes that infest the hills of the Ohio Valley nowadays.

Enough of that. The next entry should be back to the river.


No comments: