Sunday, March 23, 2014

From the '80s archives: A favorite place

I have lots of favorite places along the Ohio River. One that's been a favorite for a long, long time is the area right below the Robert C. Byrd Locks and Dam, which people where I grew up still refer to as the Gallipolis Locks and Dam.

In the days before the new canal was built, this was a chokepoint. The main lock was only 600 feet long, meaning most tows had to doublecut to get through, which meant there were constant backups. That meant boats waited in line for a while, making it much easier to get pictures of them.

On top of that, the Ohio side is easily accessible, making it a favorite fishing spot, too.

Here is a scanned image of a slide I shot on the riverbank about thirty years ago. As with many of my slides from that era, the colors are starting to change. In this case, that means a blue tint. I've removed some of it, but not all.



This area is still a nice place to get pictures, especially if you can pick a good time of day based on where the sun will be. A few years ago, I got a nice picture of a turtleneck boat here.

Spring is here, and low-water season should follow sometime this summer, so perhaps I can get back up there and see how things look now.




No comments: