Saturday, October 4, 2014

Beware of aquatic invaders

I was at the boat ramp at the mouth of the Guyandotte River here in Huntington, W.Va., the other day and saw a sign had been nailed to a utility pole. A family was reading it, so I did not get closer. Today, though, I had the park all to myself, so I checked the sign out. It basically is a warning about invasive species.



Here, I've taken each of the three parts of the sign and broken them out as their own images.




Zebra mussels were supposed to be an ecological disaster until ducks learned they were tasty. I don't know if anything has found Asian carp to please its palate. We can always hope.

Speaking of which, each fall we used to have a lot of Asian lady beetles around here. I haven't seen many of them since stink bugs moved in.

 

 

No comments: