Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Barbara H and the Juanita


Dick's Towboat Gallery has a couple of photos of the Barbara H.  I remember her as the Donald B when she was a working boat at Maysville, Ky. In the 1980s, we had three small working sternwheelers in this region of the Ohio River: the Donald B at Maysville, the Lady Lois at Catlettsburg, Ky., and the Juanita at Lakin, W.Va.

 I did a news story on the boats when I worked for the Huntington paper. At the time, the Juanita was owned by AEP, and it pushed a few barges around the AEP dock at Lakin. I remember interviewing a guy who worked on the Juanita and, they said, was very attached to it. His name was Worthy Love, if I recall correctly

The Juanita has changed ownership since then. I saw her at Point Pleasant, W.Va., last September when she and other boats were there for the Maritime Days celebration. Her owner gave me a tour of the boat. It was a great experience.


No comments: