Thursday, June 18, 2009

Bridge over the Kanawha

It's not on the Ohio River. It's 53 miles up the Kanawha River, the Ohio's largest tributary in this area. But it can be noted here that the two sides of North America's largest concrete box girder bridge were joined yesterday. When finished, the bridge will be on Interstate 64 just east (correction, west) of Charleston WV.

As my former coworker Cara  Bailey wrote in a story in today's Charleston Daily Mail, the main span of the bridge is 760 feet. The total length will be 2,950 feet.

To read the whole thing, click here.


3 comments:

Christopher Scott Jones said...

Good riddance to the bridge that it will replace. It is probably the single worst banked stretch of Interstate highway upon which I've ever had the misfortune drive.

tanstaafl said...

Better grab the map again. West of Charleston. And I agree with Chris, the one that it replaces is absolutely terrible.

ohio981 said...

Uh, yeah, West of Charleston. I knew that. I just got confused because I was writing too quickly and the new bridge will handle eastbound traffic. I think a TV guy said the old bridge will still be in service, handling westbound traffic.