Monday, May 24, 2010

Final days for an old bridge


I had it in my mind that demolition of the old 5th Avenue bridge over the Guyandotte River at Huntington, W.Va., was to start today, Monday, but it looks like someone got a head start on removing the old pavement.

The bridge has been closed for several years, waiting for money for a replacement.

The shadow across the pile of asphalt in the foreground comes from the entrance ramp for the East End bridge over the Ohio River.

This bridge was built a gazillion years ago. Adam and I took a final walk across it on Sunday. We saw a lot of twisted and rusting steel members. I  told Adam that about a year ago, I went on the river bank under the bridge and saw a lot of support members rusted through and hanging down from the bridge deck, which couldn't have been good.

I hate to see old steel truss bridges go, but this one's end came long ago.


No comments: