Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Three photos from the 1980s

Taking a time out from 2010, here are three Ohio River photos from the 1980s. I can't say for sure when I took them. I've even forgotten some of the critical information, especially the second one. But here they are anyway. If anyone has reliable information on these photos they would like to share, I'd be more than happy to read it.

(Reminder: All photos are copyrighted by me, Jim Ross, and may not be used without my permission.)

Here's the Delta Queen approaching Gallipolis, Ohio, from downriver.


And here is a former towboat used as a restaurant on the Ironton, Ohio, riverfront in the 1980s.


I can't remember its name as a working boat. I want to think it had been owned by G & C Towing, but don't hold me to that. The restaurant was in business for a while, but as many restaurants do, it eventually went out of business. I have no idea what happened to the boat.

And here is a boat close to my heart.


One of my first river memories is seeing the Kathy R as a sternwheeler, and again later as a propeller-driver boat. Here is the boat in its later years as the C.T. Jones, and I think this was taken at the Greenup Locks and Dam. I took as many photos of the C.T. Jones as I could in the 1980s. The last I heard, the boat may have burned, with its hull being salvaged and used as a barge, but again, please don't hold me to that.



1 comment:

ohio981 said...

My guess would be the Gregory Jay. I have a few photos of the Mr. Jesse Barr, and it looks different.