Sunday, March 20, 2011

mv. Ocie Clark

Sometimes there are boats on the Ohio River that don't stand out. They're not noticeably new or old. They don't have an unusual design. But they're still there, doing a lot of the work that needs to be done.

Among them is the mv. Ocie Clark of Ingram Barge Co. I've seen it a few times, but I never paid a whole lot of attention to it. Well, I saw it yesterday and decided to give it some of my time and pixels.

The Ocie Clark is older than I thought it was. It was built by St. Louis Ship in 1965. It's 154 feet long and 40 feet wide. Its engines generate 4,800 horsepower.

I don't know why I hardly noticed it on the Ohio River until a year or two ago. Maybe it wasn't there. Maybe I was looking for other boats.

Anyway, here are a few pictures of the Ocie Clark that I got yesterday from Henderson, W.Va.

First, the Ocie Clark is running lightboat, having come down the Ohio from a dock a few miles to the north. It's making the turn to enter the Kanawha.



And here it passes under the Bartow Jones Bridge over the Kanawha, with Point Pleasant in the background.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

im a deck hand on the oc clark. I appreciate the comments you left about my boat. I want to thank you for taking the time and effort to post about my boat and the pictures. I was actually on the boat when the pictures were taken. The oc clark has been on the ohio river for many years. Sometimes we go to pittsburgh from south point but mostly we go from south point to paducah. Again i want to thank you for mentioning my boat.

ohio981 said...

My pleasure.