Saturday, April 2, 2011


You know on the front of a rake (slanted-end) barge, there are these things hanging down. What are they called?


Anonymous said...

they are called tow knees or push knees when wiring a rake to a box end they keep the rake from riding over the box end

ohio981 said...

I figured their purpose had to do with stability and safety when they faced up against another barge. "Push knees" sounds good. "Tow knees" sounds like the part of the boat that faces the barges, so I'll probably just call them push knees unless someone gets all bent out of shape about it.

The "knees" part makes sense because of the way they look similar to the front of the boat itself, only upside down.


Anonymous said...

Push knee's for sure is correct, from the "old timer".