Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Black and white, part 3

Here's one of the old Midland boats that I rarely saw on my part of the Ohio River, despite its name. This is the City of Huntington as it enters the old locks at the Gallipolis Locks and Dam.



This was scanned from a print from the 1980s. The scanner was set at low resolution.

Perhaps I should have left the boat in color and put everything else in black and white. These boats need the red that the 1980s color scheme of the Ohio River Co. gave them.

This reminds me: Does anyone know of an online list of boats in South America that once operated on North American rivers, listed by new name and old name?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The old "Huntington" brings back old memories on the Illinois River in the mid 60's, rough days for a young deckhand as I was back then. Mule "training barges" in the ice,not easy work. Pull 9 loads and push 1. We had to walk in the in the coal(you were not allowed to walk on the gunnel for good reason's).Some of the coal was almost like powder,I would go in over my boots in coal dust. We had to keep lanterns burning on each load so the pilot could count them at night,so he would know if he lost the end load. We used rope couplings so the tow would go around bends, this is the way it was,no joke. I wonder if any of your readers every done any of this!I think AEP has a couple of old timers that spent some time on the Illinois.