Friday, May 6, 2011

Temple Huckabee nee Tri-State

About a year ago, I heard that Marathon Petroleum had sold one of my favorite towboats ever, the Tri-State. It was one of my favorites because I had gotten to ride it in May 1980 from Neale Island near Parkersburg, W.Va., down to Kenova. It was interesting being on it when we went through the old locks at Gallipolis between midnight and dawn.

Dick's Towboat Gallery has a picture of the Tri-State with its new name and new paint scheme. It's odd seeing it with so much blue instead of red. That would be the reverse, I guess, of how Tom Seaver felt in 1977 when he was traded from the Mets to the Reds.

I'd like to see the Tri-State again some day, just like I'd like to see the Omega (now the Erna E. Honeycutt) and some other boats that used to spend a lot of time on my part of the Ohio but now are elsewhere.

No comments: