Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Eagles shot

These incidents all happened on the other side of West Virginia, far away from the Ohio River, but they still make me angry.

A few morons are shooting bald eagles. At least four in West Virginia have died of gunshot wounds so far this year, according to this article in The Charleston Gazette.

Eagles have returned to the Ohio River to next in winter time, although I've not been blessed yet to see one. But I've heard they're in the Parkersburg area up and in one or two spots below Portsmouth, Ohio, at least. I look forward to seeing one this coming winter, and I think I might know a secluded spot where I'm likely to find one. I've also been told one has nested at the Robert C. Byrd Locks and Dam.

Back in the late 1970s or early 1980s, I heard that a pair was nesting in the part of Gallia County, Ohio, where I grew up. I also heard that a local said he wanted to find them and shoot them. Why? Because they were there, I guess. And that was the last that I heard about eagles in Gallia County, Ohio.

No comments: