Monday, August 20, 2012

Sternwheeler on the Kanawha

Today on the way in to work, I saw a small boat coming down the Kanawha River. It turned out to be a sternwheeler called the Laura J pushing a barge. When he saw the pictures later, Adam asked if I got a good look at the barge, as it has towing knees on the front. He wondered if the barge had been the hull of a towboat at one time. I said I had no idea.

Here are some of the picture I got with a phone camera.









The towboat passing the Laura J is the Escatawpa, by the way.

2 comments:

Barry G. said...

Jim, I checked with a very reliable source on the deck barges with towknees that Madison has and shown in your photos. Here is the reply I got.
There are two that they use. One is the hull of the str. DETROITER, originally built as the COP-R-LOY by Howards. The other is the one with the steam boiler mounted on it, and it is the hull of the diesel sternwheeler FORT ARMSTRONG, later TINA M. WHITE built by Ward.
bg

ohio981 said...

Thanks, Barry.