Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Two boats on the river, 5/12/15

My computer is fixed, so it's time to celebrate by posting photos of a couple of boats I saw late yesterday afternoon.

First is the W. Stanley James pushing six loaded barges upriver, with Chesapeake, Ohio, in the background.




I had a few minor dealings with James when he was a member of the Tri-State Airport Authority, the governing body for Tri-State Airport near Huntington. I quoted him in newspaper articles every now and then, but that was about it. I think I read that he was one of the agents or advisers to Chad Pennington, a Heisman finalist in 1999 at Marshall University and quarterback for the New York Jets and Miami Dolphins, but don't bet any money on my memory of this being true.

A few minutes later I saw the Mary Scheel a bit farther up the river.


Nowadays when I see an AEP boat, I check the stern to see if it's registered to Lakin WV or St. Louis MO so I can guess whether it's one of the ones up for sale.

No comments: