Wednesday, July 20, 2011

It was so hazy ...

I passed by Sistersville, W.Va., on Monday, so I just had to ride the ferry from one side of the Ohio River to the other. It was really hazy that day. You couldn't look a quarter of a mile and not have your view obstructed by haze.

As we were about to pull out of Sistersville for Fly, Ohio, the ferry had to wait for the M/V Lydia Brent to pass. These are the shots as seen by my camera. I could have taken the haze out, but I left it in for effect, particularly the last shot.



4 comments:

AzBarite said...

Thanks for the great pictures. They make me a bit homesick. I grew up in Sciotoville, OH and worked for a couple of years in Chesapeake. It's beautiful country on both sides of the river.

Old Radio Cat said...

How hazy was it!?

Just kidding.

But, you must have eagle vision as I don't see a nameplate anywhere on that vessel.

Our former pastor's wife grew up in Fly, Ohio and her dad (late 80s) still lives there. I had never heard of it until I met her.

ohio981 said...

I didn't see a nameboard, either, nor did I see the name on the stern. So I took the original photo and zoomed in on the towing knee and was able to make out a few letters. I checked it against the list of vessels that had locked through Hannibal after I crossed on the ferry, and the Lydia Brent was listed as pushing two barges. Therefore ...

Old Radio Cat said...

Good detective work.

Can you imagine how long it would take to find that information before the Internet came to be?

We are in a new world and I love it. Information that I used to have to go to the library to find is now available at my fingertips. It's incredible!