Saturday, February 18, 2023

Two boats on the Big Sandy

There wasn't much activity in Catlettsburg that morning, so I got something to eat and headed toward the place where I was help babysit a granddaughter. As I crossed the bridge over the Big Sandy from Catlettsburg to Kenova, I saw the MAP Runner downbound pushing an empty. I got time to get another shot, I figured. So I went to Virginia Point Park in Kenova and found a shooting spot.

As soon as I got there, I realized my mistake. The sun had already crossed the point in the sky where I would be shooting into it instead of with it at my back. But I probably didn't have time to go back to the Kentucky side of the Big Sandy, so I stayed put. Before the MAP Runner got there, I heard another boat coming behind me. It was the M/V Tri State coming out of the Ohio and up the Big Sandy.




Now, I thought, if things time right I can get both boats in the same picture. So I waited and sure enough, I did. It was also cool when the barge being pushed by the MAP Runner ran into the Tri State's wake.





And I left once the MAP Runner made the hard turn to starboard to take the barge up toward Kenova.





No comments: